Culture Corner--Best of September
Sydney Hodgson | @SydneyLHodgson
Hello September! And hello to a welcome change of seasons. Fall is a fresh start and a time to bundle up and indulge that pumpkin spice obsession. You are going to need some fresh movies, TV, music, podcasts and events to pair with your new boots, and Sydney is your girl. Here are her recommendations for the month ahead.
- Oh how I love Reese Witherspoon. Her upcoming romantic comedy Home Again tells the story of a single mom who befriends three much younger, very attractive men. The film features females galore at the helm, with Hallie Myers-Shyer writing and directing, and Nancy Myers and Erika Olde serving as producers. See it on or after September 8th.
- One of the best on screen duos Emma Stone and Steve Carell star in Battle of the Sexes, telling the story of the 1973 tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobbie Riggs, which became the most watched televised sports event of all time. In a theater near you on September 22nd.
- The final season of The Mindy Project premieres September 12th on Hulu. Since season one the show has taken a real approach to life as modern woman, confronting issues like relationships, career growth--and in it’s final season--marriage and mom-shaming. The inimitable creator, producer and star Mindy Kaling promises a great ending, adding “I think that happily ever after can sometimes be romantic happiness and sometimes it can be a feeling of contentment with your life, as a professional and as a mother.” Yes.
TO LISTEN TO…
- Shania Twain makes a triumphant and welcome return with her first studio album in 15 years. Her 5th album is titled Now and features songs like “Life’s About to Get Good" inspired by her divorce. Available September 29th.
- Jack Johnson’s new album All The Light Above It Too comes out September 8th. As the singer puts it, the album shares what has “been on my mind in the past year or so” and that covers topics from personal to political. Check out the first single “My Mind Is For Sale."
- A few people have recommended the podcast My Favorite Murder to me a few times and with hesitation, I finally decided to listen. It is disturbing how excited Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark get talking about murder and discussing freak accidents and serial killers, but the girls definitely are funny. If true crime is your thing, you will love it. Available wherever you get your podcasts.
- Drink a beer. Denver Beer Fest and Oktoberfest Denver both take place the last weekend of the month. Downtown is sure to be a sizzling hop-drenched mess. Order a Lyft so you can have maximum fun and get where you are going safely.
- Tove Lo sang her way into my heart with the endlessly dancy hit “Cool Girl” and the Swedish songstress is coming to the Ogden Theater on September 20th. She played to a sold out show at Red Rocks earlier this summer alongside Alt-J and SOHN. If you missed her then, now’s your chance.
- It’s officially football season. The Broncos’ pre-season home opener against the Green Bay Packers was August 26th, kicking off a 5 game series at Mile High Stadium, which runs through mid-September. If you can’t score tickets to a game, they will be playing in every bar and living room across the state. Join in on the fun. It’s what everyone will be talking about until next Sunday.